If you’re an employer of foreign workers (excluding domestic helpers), insurance guarantee (IG) is compulsory to be taken by employer as a security deposit under Regulation 21 of the Immigration Regulations. In case, foreign worker is required by the authorities to be sent back to his origin country. And the minimum duration of cover set by the Immigration Department is eighteen (18) months.
Besides that, Foreign Workers Hospitalization and Surgical (FWHS or SKHPPA) is another compulsory scheme requested by Ministry of Health to cover your foreign workers’ hospital charges and it’s cashless admission at most of the time. Here’s the overview of the coverage.
Daily hospital & room board (max up to 30 days)
As charged in accordance to charges consistent with Third (3rd) Class Room and Board to a maximum of RM160.00 per day in a Non-Corporatized Malaysian Government Hospital in conformance to the charges specified under Fees Act 1951, Fees (Medical) Order 1982.
Intensive care unit (ICU) (max up to 15 days)
Hospital supplies & services
Surgical fees (exclude organ transplantation)
In-hospital physician visits (max up to 30 days)
In-hospital specialist consultation visits (max up to 30 days)
Ambulance fees/medical report fees
Maximum overall annual limit
In spite of that, employers need to register their foreign workers (excluding domestic helpers) with Social Security Organization (SOCSO or PERKESO) and contribute to the Employment Injury Scheme (SBKPA) under the Employees’ Social Security Act 1969 (Act 4), effective from 1 January 2019 for the replacement of Foreign Workers Compensation Scheme (FWCS). Here’s the benefits of SBKPA to protect foreign workers against accidents or occupational diseases in the course of their employment.
- Medical benefit
- Temporary or Permanent Disablement benefit
- Dependents benefit
- Constant Attendance Allowance
- Rehabilitation Facilities
- Funeral benefit (including repatriation cost)
Last but not least, here are the important tips to ensue your foreign workers are well protected under insurance at all time.
- Normally, duration of cover FWHS is less than one (1) year for new arrival foreign workers. As a result, you should extend the duration or amend the effective date by informing insurer.
- Then, SBKPA is unclaimable for injury which happen at non-working hours in the cause of accident. So, you can buy a group or accident coverage plan to solve the insufficient.
- Even though your domestic helper or foreign workers under plantation/agriculture sector are not required to have insurance, but you should buy FWHS and personal accident coverage plan for them at your own good.
- Lastly, the premium rate & coverage benefit are same for every insurer. In that case, you don’t need to waste time to make comparison between the insurer.
Click here to contact us if you need someone to manage your foreign workers insurance. We have more than 15 years in claiming insurance and we can manage your renewal of foreign workers permit at the same time.